Thursday 29 November 2012

Salome

Salomé, Salomé, dance for me. I pray thee dance for me. I am sad to-night. Yes, I am passing sad to-night. When I came hither I slipped in blood, which is an evil omen; and I heard, I am sure I heard in the air a beating of wings, a beating of giant wings. I cannot tell what they mean .... I am sad to-night. Therefore dance for me. Dance for me, Salomé, I beseech you. If you dance for me you may ask of me what you will, and I will give it you, even unto the half of my kingdom.

~Oscar Wilde Salome
 

Filippo Lippi The Feast of Herod Salome's Dance (1464)
Andrea Solario Salome with the head of St. John the Baptist (1507)
Guido Reni Salome with the Head of John the Baptist (1635)
Aubrey Beardsley The Climax(Illustration for Wilde's Salome) (1893)
Wilhelm Trübner Salome (1897)
Franz von Stuck Salome (1906)
Gustav Klimt Judith II (Salome) (1909)
Aleksandra Ekster Costume design for Salome (1917)
John Vassos Illustration for Oscar Wilde's 'Salome' (1927)
Manuel Orazi Salome (1930)
Erte Salome (20th Century)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...